Monday 28 December 2009

Christmas!!

Just a little blog post to talk about Christmas, and what my plans for next year and some more general stuff, it is going to be about 898 words but I do appreciate you taking the time to read this.

So to start off, the lead up to Christmas this year did not seem that ‘brilliant’ I think this shows as the world is in the economic state it is in, people are cutting back on being ‘big spenders’ on Christmas lights, outdoor lights and just general house decoration.

This surprises me, I was expecting it to be a little less  this year but not to the extent it has been, for example only a few houses put up decorations down my road, now not to be big headed or anything but my road is not exactly a poor road... Even with this it still stopped them doing all the lights.

I think this is the time where people really focus on ‘what is Christmas meant to be’, well what it means to them and I think nowadays a lot of people think it is just a good excuse to spend money and give people stuff. I think some people have forgotten why we celebrate Christmas sometimes.

 The 25th December was a date picked by the Catholic Church to appease the pagans who they were trying to convert, but they did not want to give up their traditional holidays and festivals. (Fair enough I wouldn’t give them up Ha)

 Saturnalia was one of the popular Roman pagan festivals of celebration, drunkenness and making merry which ran from the 17th to the 24th of December. Gifts were exchanged on the 23rd and 24th. On the 25th December they would celebrate "The Birth of The Unconquerable Sun."

It was decided that this would be a day for celebrating the birth of Jesus instead. Many of the pagan traditions such as decorating the house with trees and greenery were banned at this time, but they have crept back into our Christmas traditions. I think the word crept is a little understatement, anyway that’s all the religious views from me (It doesn’t happen much)

I also have been watching peoples status updates on Twitter and Facebook, and even with the state the country are in, it seems like people are still getting very expensive presents.

 Maybe families are cutting down on all this rubbish and democracy which is Christmas decorations and more focusing on buying their family presents. (Do I think this is a good idea?) Well that’s a simple no!! If we get into this thing where as we don’t decorate the house and just spend all the money buying presents, well then the  Christmas spirit is just gone, (Not much left of it now)... Sitting in an un-decorated house opening presents, seems a bit odd. (Let me guess the next thing is people won’t even bother with the roast dinner!!)

I do hope everyone got what they wanted for Christmas, I know I did. Let me know what you got, email pete@petehelmore.co.uk or just twitter me @PeteHelmore.

For those who have been asking I got an iPod Touch 32gb.  (Apart from my computer and laptop what I got a few years back, this has been the best present I have had in awhile)

Oh also just before I go I have got some news... I have recently been focusing on my career (Which is in radio, I hope). I am in the process of making, a 1page website with like a profile page of Pete Helmore the web address for this will be www.petehelmore.info (If you go there now, it re-directs you to twitter).  Now if anyone would like to write me any quotes for the website just saying how great I am HA I would appreciate them.

Also I am in the process of making a new ‘Online Community Webpage’ www.petehelmore.com  This page will be one of the many new projects I am working on. I will be working on this project with Ben Griffin pa@needtechhelp.co.uk my long time PA / Helper for all my radio stuff and for www.needtechhelp.co.uk. I will let you know more about the site when I know more...

The next two years for me are going to be very busy and I think this will be the time where I 1, Shine in my career or 2, End up in Community Radio all my live... (Oh I have nothing bad to say about Community Radio, as if it was not for that I would not be at the stage I am currently at, but I’m sure everyone understands that I want to get higher up the scale. Everyone should have a goal what seems impossible (but in the back of your head you always think ‘I can do this’) to get but one day you will get it if you really want to be somewhere doing something you will do it!!)

Anyway that’s it from me, I hope to blog more in 2010 but it is sometimes hard to find time, for example I am typing this at 3.27 in the morning (I work best in the silent which is night time, with my iPod on and in that zone where someone could be looking at you and you wouldn’t realize and your just typing away listening to some great, and not so great tunes!!)

I wish you all a very Happy New Year. Be safe and have FUN!!!

Posted via web from petehelmore's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment